Not remembered

The wartime child victims of the Garrick Theatre Disaster

This week marked 100 years since the Garrick Theatre Disaster. Never heard of it? This was little known story, overshadowed by the horrors of the First World War, is about the death of young children in a provincial theatre.

On 7 April 1916, the people of Hereford put on a play to raise money for the troops. In those early spring days, some children, were dressed up for a ‘Winter Wonderland’ presentation, their cotton wool costumes marking them out as Inuit and snow maidens. Hereford hadn’t adopted regulation prohibiting cotton wool costumes on health and safety grounds.

As they left the stage, one girl’s costume caught alight. The reason couldn’t be established at the subsequent inquest, although it was said that it may have been the result of a smoker’s discarded match. The flames spread rapidly. Six of the girls died at the scene. Two more died days later in hospital.

Their names:

  • Peggy Baird, aged 5
  • Connie Bragg, aged 5
  • Winifred Mailes, aged 6
  • Violet Minnie Corey, aged 7
  • Linda Alice Illman, aged 8
  • Phyllis Eugenie White, aged 10
  • Cissie Beavan, aged 12
  • Nellie Rutherford, aged 13

This terrible night shook the local community. The sum of £500 was raised for a memorial cot and plaque at Herefordshire General Hospital.

For the families who suffered this traumatic loss, there were almost certainly other bereavements with adult men fighting in that awful war.

A century on, this tragedy has receded into obscurity. Herefordshire General Hospital, which was to mark the memory of the event, has long been demolished, as has the Garrick Theatre itself. The anniversary has passed unreported in the national media.

But locally, some families still remember the impact on earlier generations. I know about the effects of such an experience too, given how my twin Jenny died.

As for basic safety, the lessons are sadly still relevant. Regulations on the flammability of children’s fancy dress costumes are still being reworked following an accident involving UK television personality Claudia Winkleman’s daughter 18 months ago. More on clothing, fire and safety regulations in a future blog.

About Ed Green

Writer and editor, Yorkshire bred, now living and working in Central London. This blog charts the writing of my memoir 'Twinned' - life with and without my disabled sister. It features disability issues, cerebral palsy, traumatic death, bereavement, twinless twins, guest posts, and throws in the occasional 'off topic' post.
This entry was posted in bereavement, burns, death, human interest, lifestyle and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s